December 28, 2004

 

my girlfriend in another state

Today at work I find out a friend of a coworker, who's been coming in to help close lately, apparently fancies me. ... Er. Flattered really, but well... "I'm sorry, but tell him I have a girlfriend." Which quite frankly is not too very far from the truth, as Hans has given me permission to refer to him as such. Given that he's "the woman" of us two.

It is funny how much more traditionally femme he tends to be. He's prettier. He has longer hair. He's far more concerned about his appearance than I am, and has been observed pinching the fat on his stomach and commenting that he needs to lose weight. (I contend that I *like* the squishy spots and if he gets rid of them I'm going to have nothing to poke.) He gets mad and pouts if I forget to call. He looks better in many of my clothes than I do. And lest we forget, he has uttered in all sincerity the phrase "Can't we just cuddle?"

I'm still trying to convince him to dress up for me, but he refuses. He claims he doesn't have the legs to wear skirts. Alas.

Though the flip side of it all is that I'm probably more butch than I previously thought. I commented once that I rarely wear "girly" clothes because I feel like I'm in drag when I wear them. It didn't sit too well with him, because as he put it "I like GIRLS, not MEN." (Gee, that's odd. Me too.)

Lately he's been more on a crusade to get me in touch with my feminine side, sartorially speaking at least. To the point of offering to buy me clothing. His main argument seems to be the "Why aren't you PROUD of what you've got? Flaunt it a little!" line of thought.

... Well, for one thing it never particularly occured to me that I *had* a whole lot to flaunt. I mostly get the "pretty if [I] tried" line. I hate that line.

For another thing, flaunting it tends to be fairly uncomfortable. And expensive. I'm simultaneously cheap when it comes to clothes (I refuse to pay seventeen bucks for a plain cotton tank top, thank you), and picky when it comes to the quality of materials and construction (if I'm going to spend money on something it damn well better hold up more than a couple of months), which means that I buy very little nowadays.

And generally speaking, the flauntation would probably draw attention I wasn't looking for. Do I really WANT to speak to someone who thinks my tits and ass are more compelling than I am? They don't talk back, you know.

Between my mom trying to Gap-ify my wardrobe and Hans trying to girl-ify it I'm surprised I'm still wearing jeans and t-shirts. It's like Straight Eye for the Queer Girl. Though on the whole I'd rather go Goth than Gap. Mostly the amount of makeup that seems to go into it puts me off Goth.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?