November 10, 2003
don't analyze
No, I'm not dead. Just lazy. But you all love me anyway.
I made a new friend, which is rather a big deal for me since I tend to make most of my friends by accident. I sat behind him in art history and we got to talking once our mutual interest in mythology came to light.
Hans is taller than me, about as skinny as me, has longish hair which is perpetually in his face, and wears a lot of beat-up black clothes. He talks a lot. In fact, I think he just might talk more than Sorcha does. He's utterly obsessed with movies, especially anime ones, and is planning a major in film and television. Since my cinematic education has been sorely neglected ("Have you ever seen--" "Nope, probably not."), we've started a sort of Saturday night ritual watching movies. Hans was officially declared a Fairly Cool Person when we watched Alien and Aliens and Ripley became my new Imaginary Lust Object.
He also told my roommate she looked like an iguana, which had to be the most hilarious thing I'd heard all day. (Apparently Clarissa thinks he's a loser who talks too much. Which he is and does, really, but hey, I'm a loser myself, so it's nothing to me.)
I'm doing well in all of my classes, with the sole exception of first-year experience, which is a big waste of time which I am only attempting to pass because I don't want to have to take it again. Passing it, unfortunately, requires me to do a Service Project and write a paper about it. Lovely.
The weather finally turned cold around here. On one hand, this is bad, since... it's cold. But on the other hand, I can wear my leather jacket again. So I suppose I'll live.
Speaking of which, that is one other odd thing about Hans. I mentioned that he talks a lot. He also compliments me a lot. Today it was "Hey, you look good in that jacket." Before that, it was "You actually look the most attractive I've ever seen you"-- when it was a declared Comfortable Clothes Day and I was sitting around in ratty jeans and a tank top with glasses on, not even trying as little as I normally do.
Um, to put it mildly, I'm not exactly used to randomly being told I'm attractive. Not that I dislike it, per se-- it's actually pretty nice-- but it's still a bit... weird. Especially after said admirer is definitely not trying to hit on me, being well aware that I'm gay.
Actually the situation under which he was Informed was pretty funny. It was Halloween, and I was bored, so I wandered over to his room to be bored with someone else. He spent about half an hour delivering a tirade on how horny he was, in far too great of detail if you ask me.
So I finally interrupted with "I'm sorry, but I really can't help you, I'm gay."
Beat. "You're a lesbian? REALLY?" Pause. "You don't LOOK like a lesbian."
And we all had a good laugh about it, since hey, it was funny. We now have mocking conversations in which he propositions me and I turn him down in the smarmiest manner possible. Example:
[during conversation wherein I was whining about some FTP program not working]
Hans: Hey, can I put my file in your folder?
Liadan: Buddy, as far as you're concerned this folder is read-only.
Quite honestly, I'm enjoying being out for once. It's one of the reasons I semi-dread going home for break, where I have to hang around people for whom being gay is actually a big deal. Here, no one cares at all. It's definitely a refreshing change from Eastchester, I'll say.
I made a new friend, which is rather a big deal for me since I tend to make most of my friends by accident. I sat behind him in art history and we got to talking once our mutual interest in mythology came to light.
Hans is taller than me, about as skinny as me, has longish hair which is perpetually in his face, and wears a lot of beat-up black clothes. He talks a lot. In fact, I think he just might talk more than Sorcha does. He's utterly obsessed with movies, especially anime ones, and is planning a major in film and television. Since my cinematic education has been sorely neglected ("Have you ever seen--" "Nope, probably not."), we've started a sort of Saturday night ritual watching movies. Hans was officially declared a Fairly Cool Person when we watched Alien and Aliens and Ripley became my new Imaginary Lust Object.
He also told my roommate she looked like an iguana, which had to be the most hilarious thing I'd heard all day. (Apparently Clarissa thinks he's a loser who talks too much. Which he is and does, really, but hey, I'm a loser myself, so it's nothing to me.)
I'm doing well in all of my classes, with the sole exception of first-year experience, which is a big waste of time which I am only attempting to pass because I don't want to have to take it again. Passing it, unfortunately, requires me to do a Service Project and write a paper about it. Lovely.
The weather finally turned cold around here. On one hand, this is bad, since... it's cold. But on the other hand, I can wear my leather jacket again. So I suppose I'll live.
Speaking of which, that is one other odd thing about Hans. I mentioned that he talks a lot. He also compliments me a lot. Today it was "Hey, you look good in that jacket." Before that, it was "You actually look the most attractive I've ever seen you"-- when it was a declared Comfortable Clothes Day and I was sitting around in ratty jeans and a tank top with glasses on, not even trying as little as I normally do.
Um, to put it mildly, I'm not exactly used to randomly being told I'm attractive. Not that I dislike it, per se-- it's actually pretty nice-- but it's still a bit... weird. Especially after said admirer is definitely not trying to hit on me, being well aware that I'm gay.
Actually the situation under which he was Informed was pretty funny. It was Halloween, and I was bored, so I wandered over to his room to be bored with someone else. He spent about half an hour delivering a tirade on how horny he was, in far too great of detail if you ask me.
So I finally interrupted with "I'm sorry, but I really can't help you, I'm gay."
Beat. "You're a lesbian? REALLY?" Pause. "You don't LOOK like a lesbian."
And we all had a good laugh about it, since hey, it was funny. We now have mocking conversations in which he propositions me and I turn him down in the smarmiest manner possible. Example:
[during conversation wherein I was whining about some FTP program not working]
Hans: Hey, can I put my file in your folder?
Liadan: Buddy, as far as you're concerned this folder is read-only.
Quite honestly, I'm enjoying being out for once. It's one of the reasons I semi-dread going home for break, where I have to hang around people for whom being gay is actually a big deal. Here, no one cares at all. It's definitely a refreshing change from Eastchester, I'll say.