July 30, 2003
gender irony
Okay, I understand that my mom was raised with a rather strict version of gender roles, wherein women always dressed and acted according to a strict definition of femininity that differs greatly from mine, and liking men was considered an inextricable part of womanhood.
I also understand that given those definitions, what I'd just call a tilt towards tomboyishness reads like outright butchiness to my mom, and my homosexuality would be more than a little disturbing to her worldview.
But these two comments, repeated with a few variations on the theme, just really make me think:
One: "What happened to turn you off men? Why don't you like boys?"
Two: "Aren't you glad you're a woman? Do you want to be a boy? Is that why you always wear such masculine clothes?"
So: Either I hate men so much that I turn to women out of sheer disgust, or I admire men so much I want to be one.
Hmmmmm.
I also understand that given those definitions, what I'd just call a tilt towards tomboyishness reads like outright butchiness to my mom, and my homosexuality would be more than a little disturbing to her worldview.
But these two comments, repeated with a few variations on the theme, just really make me think:
One: "What happened to turn you off men? Why don't you like boys?"
Two: "Aren't you glad you're a woman? Do you want to be a boy? Is that why you always wear such masculine clothes?"
So: Either I hate men so much that I turn to women out of sheer disgust, or I admire men so much I want to be one.
Hmmmmm.