January 15, 2003
what are the odds? *
The definition of an "ohSH*T" moment: writing an entry including information on the fact that you are bi, and having your mother, who does not know and isn't on the list of People To Come Out To While I Am Still Financially Dependent On Them, walk into the room, lean over to deposit stuff in your lap right in front of the computer screen with the ever-so-damning entry on it, and then decide to plop down on your bed and grill you about scholarships for the next ten nerve-wracking minutes.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled entry.
<>
While talking on the phone a couple of days ago, I asked Bridget about how she was doing in Apologetics. She said it was okay, she hadn't had to decapitate Fred yet (obviously, since he's still teaching), but that if he "started gay-bashing, [she] was going to walk out [or yell at him, or something, this convo was a while back], because [she] has gay friends and doesn't appreciate that kind of stuff."
It's relevant to mention that no, Bridget was unaware that she has one more "gay friend" than she thinks, and said friend happened to be the person she was talking to.
This incident tentatively placed Bridget on the People To Come Out To list. Which, incidentally, is pretty short right now.
Today, I was eating my lunch after fourth period in the art room today, and as per usual, Bridget joined me. She was doing college stuff, and the conversation turned to her Harvard interview.
Apparently, it went kind of well, until the interviewer told her that he was worried about how she would fare at the Big H, seeing how she was a white Southern Baptist girl and there are apparently scary people like gays and lesbians at Harvard.
Bridget was pretty pissed, and as she related to me, "I was like, Oh, I'm sure I'll be fine, seeing how I support the feminist movement and I have gay friends and stuff like that. Does he really think I'm that sheltered? I hate it when people assume that about me just because I'm a Southern white girl."
This is promising.
Later, I was sitting in the library reading a Christianity Today. Normally, I don't, because it pretty much assumes that Real Christians™ are Evangelical, which I disagree strongly with (to say the least), but it had an article on Tony Campolo, who is actually pretty good for an Evangelical. *snort*
At any rate, I noticed while flipping through the pages looking for the article that it was well nigh impossible to go more than two pages without reading some blurb about how homosexuality is evil. Gays are bad, gays are evil, gays want to take over the world, same-sex unions are evil and contribute to the breakdown of the American family, et cetera ad nauseam.
This bothered me, to say the least.
< /backstory >
While sitting in the English room right before class started today, I mentioned this fact to Bridget. She responded by first agreeing with my assessment. Then she kind of went off on a diatribe about how she really hates it when people equate "gay" with "AIDS." To paraphrase, "It's not like BEING GAY means that you'll automatically have AIDS."
Okay. This is pretty good. So, God, is this your way of saying that I should tell her?
"And if only gay people ever got AIDS, then straight people shouldn't really be worried about it!" quoth Bridget, or something to that effect.
(To self: Uh, well, not everyone's purely oriented one way or anoth--)
"It's the people who are confused that we need to worry about. We should just kill THEM."
...
[insert video of Liadan's heart going *splat* on the floor]
Yes, she was joking, I know. But seriously, as much as I was willing myself to laugh uncomfortably or change the subject or SOMETHING, pretty much all I could do was just stare at her with what, I'm sure, looked like an extremely pissed expression. When I did manage to unstick my eyebrows from my hairline, the first word I thought of to retort was "Bigot."
Tell me THAT'S not irony.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled entry.
<>
While talking on the phone a couple of days ago, I asked Bridget about how she was doing in Apologetics. She said it was okay, she hadn't had to decapitate Fred yet (obviously, since he's still teaching), but that if he "started gay-bashing, [she] was going to walk out [or yell at him, or something, this convo was a while back], because [she] has gay friends and doesn't appreciate that kind of stuff."
It's relevant to mention that no, Bridget was unaware that she has one more "gay friend" than she thinks, and said friend happened to be the person she was talking to.
This incident tentatively placed Bridget on the People To Come Out To list. Which, incidentally, is pretty short right now.
Today, I was eating my lunch after fourth period in the art room today, and as per usual, Bridget joined me. She was doing college stuff, and the conversation turned to her Harvard interview.
Apparently, it went kind of well, until the interviewer told her that he was worried about how she would fare at the Big H, seeing how she was a white Southern Baptist girl and there are apparently scary people like gays and lesbians at Harvard.
Bridget was pretty pissed, and as she related to me, "I was like, Oh, I'm sure I'll be fine, seeing how I support the feminist movement and I have gay friends and stuff like that. Does he really think I'm that sheltered? I hate it when people assume that about me just because I'm a Southern white girl."
This is promising.
Later, I was sitting in the library reading a Christianity Today. Normally, I don't, because it pretty much assumes that Real Christians™ are Evangelical, which I disagree strongly with (to say the least), but it had an article on Tony Campolo, who is actually pretty good for an Evangelical. *snort*
At any rate, I noticed while flipping through the pages looking for the article that it was well nigh impossible to go more than two pages without reading some blurb about how homosexuality is evil. Gays are bad, gays are evil, gays want to take over the world, same-sex unions are evil and contribute to the breakdown of the American family, et cetera ad nauseam.
This bothered me, to say the least.
< /backstory >
While sitting in the English room right before class started today, I mentioned this fact to Bridget. She responded by first agreeing with my assessment. Then she kind of went off on a diatribe about how she really hates it when people equate "gay" with "AIDS." To paraphrase, "It's not like BEING GAY means that you'll automatically have AIDS."
Okay. This is pretty good. So, God, is this your way of saying that I should tell her?
"And if only gay people ever got AIDS, then straight people shouldn't really be worried about it!" quoth Bridget, or something to that effect.
(To self: Uh, well, not everyone's purely oriented one way or anoth--)
"It's the people who are confused that we need to worry about. We should just kill THEM."
...
[insert video of Liadan's heart going *splat* on the floor]
Yes, she was joking, I know. But seriously, as much as I was willing myself to laugh uncomfortably or change the subject or SOMETHING, pretty much all I could do was just stare at her with what, I'm sure, looked like an extremely pissed expression. When I did manage to unstick my eyebrows from my hairline, the first word I thought of to retort was "Bigot."
Tell me THAT'S not irony.