August 17, 2002

 

what happens when you don't sleep

The first couple of hours, midnight until two a.m., weren't a big deal. I spent most of it trying to bang out a layout (and failing utterly, I still don't have one I like very much and am considering resurrecting an old one). Occasionally, I'd get off, read some more in Fires of Heaven, eat sunflower seeds, and then get back on and doggedly set out to do more work.

Three a.m., I got sick of the computer, got off, and read for about half an hour.I think I also took my pills and brushed my teeth at this point. Bedtime routines feel different when you're not going to bed.

Around four a.m. is where I started to feel a bit odd. Because technically, I still could have gone to bed then, and be no worse for wear, since I'd been falling asleep around four-thirty anyway, but as I had already finished one can of Coke and was still riding the fizzy wave of wide-eyed caffeine jag, it wasn't really an option.

Four-fifteen, I had to sneak downstairs and out into the garage to get another can of Coke, providing me with a small diversion of pretending I was a commando. This precipitated another round of HTMLization, which also failed to produce any results. Grr.

Around five, I pondered the fact that if this was the school year, I would only have an hour and a half left to sleep, and the origins of the phrase "Great googly moogly," among other things.

I colored in my coloring book from about five-thirty to six, beginning to notice a distinct sense of giddiness creeping up on me.

At about seven, I noticed the sky outside getting lighter. Wow. Cool. The sun is rising, and I haven't collapsed in utter exhaustion yet. In fact, I'm not even sleepy. At all. Heh.

I went downstairs to see if anyone else was awake at about eight-thirty. Aelgifu was. I noticed that I was smiling in a distinctly absentmindedly-insane manner and giggling at the smallest provocation. Even peeling an orange was funny.

As it is, I'm sitting here typing now at about nine or nine-thirty (I'm not sure whether to believe my computer, my clock, or Blogger's timing thingy). A few seconds ago I was looking through the Misc. archives of Flak Magazine. And laughing out loud. I generally don't laugh out loud at things I read unless they're really funny.

I'm beginning to notice myself staring off into space and blinking slowly every once in a while. And yawning a lot. (I just yawned.) Everything seems a bit surreal and fuzzy around the edges. And funnier. Everything's a lot funnier when you're riding the crest of sleep deprivation.

Actually, this is kinda fun. I'm surprised I'm still coherent, to be honest.

Speaking of which, I'm in desperate need of some caffeine. I need to keep my jag running until I can sleep tonight.

Heh.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?